Once you get tuned into the the realization that food can either kill you or cure you, it’s amazing how much there is to learn. Why would I declare broccoli sprouts to be my new BFF (for those of you who are digitally challenged, the acronym for Best Friend Forever)? Well, for starters, the sprouts have 20 times the concentration of the cancer-fighting phytochemical, glucoraphanin, than do mature broccoli spears. When chewed, broccoli releases this glucoraphanin and myrosinase, an enzyme found in another part of the plant cell, which work together to produce sulforaphane. Without getting too technical, this sulforaphane basically results in the substantial fortification of our cellular defense systems. Here’s a quick summary of the results in credible clinical trials relating to this extraordinary mechanism:
- An enhanced detoxification (neutralization) of carcinogens from the human body, leading to a reduction in cancer risk.
- Inhibits the progression of cancer by causing the programmed death of damaged cells.
- Reduction of H. pylori infection and chemopreventive against gastric cancer.
- Prevent the progression of skin cancer after cells are already damaged.
- Reduce by 50% the likelihood of being diagnosed with breast cancer and sulforaphane actually reaches breast tissue in humans within an hour or so of consumption.
- Prostate cancer cells responded to treatment with sulforaphane.
- Inhibit cancer in vitro in human colon cancer cells.
- Can induce death and cell cycle arrest in human bladder cancer cells in vitro.
- Has the ability to prevent metastasis of established cancers, rather than simply preventing development of cancers.
- In just one week, showed decreased overall levels of cholesterol, while increasing HDL or good cholesterol.
- Protects retinal pigment epithelial cells from damage by chemical carcinogens and by ultraviolet light.
- Reduces the effects of oxidative stress in COPD.
- Helps reverse the damaging effects of diabetes-linked vascular disease.
Need I say more? Next time you’re in the grocery store, do yourself a favor and throw some broccoli sprouts into your cart, their anti-cancer properties are miraculous!
PLEASE “SHARE” THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK , TWITTER AND LINKEDIN. THANKS!
- Broccoli-Based Medicine Against Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis, Allergies and Cardiovascular Protection (oneradionetwork.com)
- Broccoli or Cabbage sprout (blackstew23.wordpress.com)